FreeTimes.com
News, Music, Politics, Sports, AI & Culture
Corus Entertainment Cuts Jobs at Global B.C., Global National and Radio Stations Amid Revenue Losses
← Back to FreeTimes

Corus Entertainment Cuts Jobs at Global B.C., Global National and Radio Stations Amid Revenue Losses

When Corus Entertainment first announced the latest wave of layoffs, a hush fell over Toronto’s studios. The company said it would cut jobs at Global B.C., Global National, News 640 and several talk‑radio stations.

The move comes on the heels of a $36.5 million net loss attributable to shareholders for the third quarter, and a 16 percent drop in revenue compared with the same period a year earlier.

Corus spokespersons framed the changes as a “small number” of adjustments in select markets. They stressed that, while painful, the cuts are necessary to keep teams structured in a sustainable way and to minimise disruption to local news and audio delivery.

This round follows earlier layoffs that began earlier in 2026. In July, Corus cut 43 employees, shut down local Global News production in Calgary and Edmonton, and centralised it in Toronto after a 20 percent fall in TV advertising revenue. Unifor, the union representing many of the workers, reported that 197 journalists and media workers had been laid off across the company’s outlets this year.

The new cuts target the flagship Global B.C. newsroom, the national flagship Global National broadcast, the News 640 radio station in Toronto and several talk‑radio stations owned by Corus Radio. The company says the layoffs will be carried out in a way that preserves the core of local news coverage.

Corus is a Canadian mass‑media company that owns the Global Television Network, 36 radio stations and a portfolio of specialty television services. The company was spun off from Shaw Communications in 1999 and has been restructuring its operations in response to a broader decline in advertising revenue across the broadcast sector.

In addition to the layoffs, Corus is awaiting court approval of a recapitalization plan that would swap debt for equity in a new parent corporation. The plan, approved by the Ontario Superior Court, is designed to reduce the company’s total debt by more than $500 million. The restructuring also includes a debt‑to‑equity swap and a 19 percent cost cut.

According to the company’s third‑quarter financial statements released on June 26, 2026, revenue for the period was $249.4 million. The net loss of $36.5 million reflects the combined impact of declining advertising income, higher operating costs and the costs associated with the restructuring.

The layoffs are part of a broader strategy to streamline operations and focus on core news and radio assets. Corus said it would continue to provide local news coverage in Alberta, British Columbia and Ontario, although the scale of production will be reduced.

Industry observers note that the cuts mirror a trend of media companies tightening budgets in the face of shifting consumer habits and increased competition from digital platforms. Corus’s decision to centralise production in Toronto and cut staff at local stations is intended to lower overhead while maintaining a national news presence.

At present, the company has not announced a timetable for when the remaining changes will be implemented. Corus remains in the process of finalising its recapitalization plan and will likely continue to adjust its workforce as part of that effort.

The layoffs underscore the challenges facing Canadian broadcasters as advertising revenue continues to decline. Corus’s moves are a reminder that even established media brands must adapt to a rapidly changing economic environment.

As the company navigates these changes, it remains committed to delivering news to Canadians across the country, albeit with a leaner structure and a focus on sustainability.

Latest Stories

More FreeTimes News